Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Soda....Pop...Soda Pop

No matter what you call it, that fizzy carbonated stuff that comes in a can, bottle or fountain beverage machine spells bad news in my book. I gave up pop (as I call it) about 7 years ago. I was drinking nothing but Mt. Dew and Dr. Pepper....and I mean that's all I was drinking....at least 6 or 7 a day, every day. It was beyond ridiculous. I have chronic heartburn/indigestion problems and very yellowed/cavity filled teeth....and I blame both of those on the amount of pop I was consuming. One day, I got the flu and knew that was my time and chance to cut it out of my life. At first, I substituted with juices and fake drinks like Kool-Aid, until I realized that the amounts of sugars in those were just as bad or worse than the pop. I was not one of those people, however, that cut it out and dropped a few pounds, (sad day, right?!) but I would hate to think of the weight gain I would have encountered if I had continued consuming the same amount through college! That would not have been good!

Source
I do not, in any way, mean to sound as if I'm the almighty for cutting out such horrible things from my diet... I do enjoy some greasy, comfort food just like everyone else....and I get a rootbeer float about once a year or so....but again, it's about moderation.


Here are some articles about soda pop...

Obesity
Obesity 2
What a Video!
Cancer
Tooth Enamel

The experiment with the egg is something that I actually did in college for a project. We soaked eggs in all sorts of drinks and then used toothbrushes to try to brush it off.... The pop, tea and kool-aid stained the egg shell (tooth enamel) and the shell of the pop-soaked egg started to decay as we brushed it.... yuck!

Moderation is key...
Krista

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have a tip, suggestion, or critique? Leave me a comment.