Thursday, April 5, 2012

Am I Insane?!?!

Am I insane?!?! I may very well be..... I have started the Insanity workout!

My birthday is later this month and I realized that I'm not even half way between 20 and 30 yet, and I was beginning to be embarrassed by my gut, love handles, triceps and thighs....I was always very fit and thin when I was dancing, but in the past 6 years, the weight has started packing on and my body has started to expand in areas that I didn't like. I was ashamed of how I was starting to look, and I just refuse to follow suit with the mid-west... I was starting to be ashamed of what I saw looking back at me in the mirror.... so, after some serious thought about Insanity...I decided to take the challenge. Many people said I was crazy, told me how hard it was, and acted as if they doubted my spontaneous decision....and I think all of the comments and negativity just made me that much more determined. I've only done 4 days of it so far, but I love it! I'm hoping the excitement keeps up!

I started my crazy workouts with a Jillian Michaels 30 day shred workout on Sunday and then started Insanity on Monday... I'm hoping for major results in the 63 days it takes to complete it, but trying not to set my expectations too high.

I've tried to start watching what I'm eating (although I cannot give up my sweet tea--- it's my only vice!) I'm not doing any crash dieting, or any diet at all really....just trying to be more conscious of what it is I'm eating and putting into my body. I'm going to start adding whole grain breads and pastas into our meals, lower our calorie consumption and make smarter choices in snacks (which is a huge problem for me!). I don't want to refuse myself of anything, because that just makes you crave it more. I'm trying to teach myself more about portion control and healthy choices.

My favorite part of Insanity?!?!?  The scheduled calendar! My biggest problem with working out is deciding what to do in my workout each day. I can never decide and then I don't want to do it, so I don't.  The program comes with a Monday-Sunday 9 week calendar with each day's workout listed... and you have Sunday's off.

The most popular question I've gotten is how long each workout is, and I asked the same thing before I began. The answer is: it varies, depending on which of the 10 workouts you're doing, but it averages about 45 minutes.

Is it hard? You bet! The first day I did it, I wanted to give up about 4 minutes in....and I wasn't even done with the warm-up! I really wanted to throw in the towel and say that I couldn't do it...it was just too hard...... But I knew that I had to at least give it a fair shot..... 45 minutes later, I was dripping in sweat, muscles hurting, face as red as could be....... but I was excited! I had completed my first Insanity work-out! Now don't let me fool you... I didn't do it like Shaun T. does it... I made many modifications for myself and I took several 10-15 second breaks.....but I finished! I couldn't walk or bend or sit or stand without moaning and moving slowly....but I had finished!

The next day, I really didn't want to do it through the pain...but I pushed on and completed the 2nd day...and then the 3rd... and today I've done the 4th!

During the workout, just when I feel beat up and defeated, Shaun T verbally motivates you to push harder and keep going. It's as if he can read my mind! haha   It's so intense and high-powered that you don't want to stop! I watch the countdown clock and tell myself that it's only X-amount of minutes and then I'm done for today, and I will be so happy tomorrow that I did it again today. Just when I think my body can't possibly take ANY more, you get a 30 second break and it's just enough to get my energy level going on.... it's great!

I have never screamed out, or cursed, or grunted through pain during a workout....but I do in this one! I have never sweat so much in my life. When I danced, we had numerous 3 hour dance practices for high-intensity dances, but nothing compares to the sweat from Insanity!!! My wrists are even covered in sweat and I have sweat dripping from my face!

I took 'before' pictures and when I'm proud of what I've accomplished, I will post them with the smokin' hot 'after' pictures! (haha!)  I have a mental goal in my head of what I want to accomplish before we jump on board the baby-makin train....and I hope to get there! (By the way--- we don't have any plans to jump aboard until I have a teaching job....)

I will finish Insanity in early June, and then I hope to start preparing for a 5K with my friend Janelle for later in the summer. I've never been a runner, but have always wanted to be. I'm hoping that all the cardio from Insanity will help prepare me!

Wish me luck in my insane path to getting fit again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have a tip, suggestion, or critique? Leave me a comment.