Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Eat Pray Love

A friend and I had a dinner and movie date last night... and we were both excited to see "Eat Pray Love." I love Julia Roberts and thought the story line of this movie (based on a book--- which I haven't read) looked great, so I knew I would enjoy the film...... and I did!!   I want to watch this movie again and again to pick up on more of the inspirational quotes that I missed the first time.....

As soon as I got home, I jumped online to find quotes from the film, but it's new enough yet, that they're not listed on IMDB....but while I was online, I saw that the movie had a less than favorable rating and not so good reviews...... and I began to wonder why that may be.... I wondered how someone could walk out of the theater unhappy and un-inspired by that movie.... wondering if they liked it or not.....

First, the obvious-- most of the users of the site are men--- and this is definitely a girl movie.....

Two....this movie is one that makes the viewer analyze his or her life, and really THINK about where you're headed, what they want to do, who they want to be....... It is so full of interesting metaphors, quotes, lessons, and so on that left me wanting to travel the world---- "to marvel at something." I want to see what other cultures are like. (I love the freedoms of America, but I think we are one lazy culture....) If a viewer realizes that they aren't happy with their life is---- they may not like the movie for pointing that out....

Three... And I realized this--- I wonder if some people in this world don't know HOW to analyze their life----- or even---how to THINK about what they want or who they want to be....so this movie wouldn't make sense to them....
There seem to be people out there that are trying to convince themselves and others that they are happy in their life, their relationship, their job...rather than analyze it and be true to themselves (and others) that maybe this isn't what they need or want..... Are they too scared to get out of a relationship that they know in their heart isn't where they should be because they are afraid of being alone?!?!  Do they think they don't deserve any better?!?! Are they just following the trend of what everyone else is doing their age (wedding, house, babies...)?!?!  "'Tis better to live your own life imperfectly than to imitate someone else's perfectly"
.


Anyway, I found some quotes from the book to coincide with the movie..... I LOVE them..


"It is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else's life with perfection."
"Your problem is you don't know what the word means. People think a soul mate is our perfect fit, and that's what everyone wants. But a true soul mate is a mirror, the person who shows you everything that is holding you back, the person who brings you to your own attention so you can change your life"
"That's just your ego, trying to make sure it stays in charge. This is what your ego does. It keeps you feeling seperate, keeps you with a sense of duality, tries to convince you that you're flowed and broken and alone instead of whole."
"But how does that serve me?"
"It doesn't serve you. Your ego's job isn't to serve you. Its only job is to keep itself in power. And right now, your ego's scared to death cuz it's about to get downsized. You keep up this spiritual path, baby, and that bad boy's days are numbered. Pretty soon your ego will be out of work, and your heart'll be making all the decisions. So your ego's fighting for its life, playing with your mind, trying to assert its authority, trying to keep you concerned off in a holding pen away from the rest of the universe. Don't listen to it."
"If you want to control things in your life so bad, work on the mind".
"To find the balance you want you must keep your feet grounded so firmly on the earth that its like you have 4 legs instead of 2. That way you stay in the world but you must stop looking at the world through your head you must look through your heart instead.That way you will know god"
"If you clear out all of that space in mind you would have a door way.."

"I want to go some place where I can marvel at something."

"This is my no carb left behind experience."

"'Tis better to live your own life imperfectly than to imitate someone else's perfectly."

  "Guilt’s just your ego’s way of tricking you into thinking that you’re making moral progress."

"You have to swim through the moat to get to the castle."

"Americans know entertainment, but they don’t do pleasure."






No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have a tip, suggestion, or critique? Leave me a comment.