Thursday, March 28, 2013

Whirlwind

What a crazy month we've had around here. As you know, I got my wisdom teeth out a month ago.... It was a slow road back to feeling like myself again. After a week of chunky cheeks, a bruised face, sore jaw and pain recovery, I was ready to go back to work. I subbed a half day for the teacher that I would taking over for in May for her maternity leave. Well, the leave came a little earlier than expected. I got a call that weekend telling me that the teacher was on bed rest for a few days until her next appointment due to early contactions.  I subbed a few days for her and then got the notice that she is on bed rest until further notice. This is my sixth leave and have always observed a day or two to get the routine established for me and to answer all kinds of questions....but not this time.  I've spent a lot of evenings in the classroom, asked a lot of questions and sent a lot of emails to the teacher. It's been overwhelming to say the least, but I'm loving it! I'm so ready to get my own classroom. The teacher has been so helpful... she's sent a lot of emails and materials into me to help through all of this. I cannot imagine what she's going through....

To add to the chaos, during the same time of getting settled into the room, I chaperoned a school trip for my old high school's student council and I helped host a bridal shower for a dear friend that is getting married June 1 but lives 9 hours away.... so of course we had to fit in a lot of girl time while she was here....so we had pizza and girl talk Saturday night, shower on Sunday and shopping all day Monday.... It was great to laugh so much after the heartache I'm still feeling....   I don't think a shopping day has ever been funnier.... We laughed like teenagers! I cannot even begin to think of all the funny stuff that day that had us rolling.... one-way streets, showing up at the wrong place, water spilled in the lap to look like a potty accident, food on a tiny plate... oh it was a funny day! We also got to see her in her full wedding day look--minus hair, jewelry, nails, etc.... but we saw the dress, veil and shoes... She looks beautiful!


The world's tiniest four door car had a rather large trunk... She got a TON of stuff knocked off her shopping list!

Here are some pictures from the shower. She wanted simple, but elegant. I think we delivered.





the cupcakes had already been attacked, so the display isn't complete in this picture




My hair fell very flat by the time the shower was over....

When she picked aqua and sage two years ago, I never dreamt that they would "the colors" for summer 2013! They're everywhere! All of the bits and pieces that everyone had to contribute
came together nicely I think. 
 The games were kinda my area, and it was hard to find games that we hadn't played at the other 4 showers we've had in the last few years, and she only wanted a couple, so we had to make them good!

We did a pop quiz, because after all, a bridal shower for a teacher isn't complete without one. The bride hid in the hallway just after the introduction and guests were asked about her appearance... We even threw in some tricks, like--- "What color are her earrings?"..... She doesn't have pierced ears! haha

The other main game we played was "Name the Powder." We had 10 baggies filled with white powders from my kitchen and guests had to name what they were without smelling or tasting... only feeling through the bag. I had your typical salt, flour, powdered sugar, cornstarch, etc....but also put in vanilla instant pudding mix, coffee creamer and pancake mix.... and SOMEHOW a woman got all 10 correct...and I didn't even give them choices of what the ten items were?!?! The game took a long time, but it was interesting.


It was so nice to have her home, but she's back in Kansas now and we won't see her until the end of May when the whirlwind of wedding week begins! I'm looking forward to it....


One day, there were five or six cardinals all in the same tree at my mom's house. My grandma used to always love seeing the birds outside the window... and we've all been seeing cardinals since she left us, so I like to think that it's just her reminding us that she's watching over us...

They had all flown to parts of the yard by the time I got my camera out,
and I know it's really hard to see... : /

We got to see the baby girl again! We had another shower on Sunday--- this time it was of the baby kind. I had three showers on three consecutive Sundays to attend or host, and then this Sunday is Easter. Whooo!




Someone had been taking a clay class.....

Two mommas in the family....


And... now onto the goal of 2013.... Eating "clean-ish" and staying fit!
We really are eating much better around here. I'm learning to hide eat vegetables....and cook more better.
Our favorite thing right now is seasoned chicken... I bought Mrs. Dash in a few flavors as well as some other seasonings... We'll just throw it in the oven or on the George Foreman and call it good.
Asparagus is something that I'm trying to learn to like...but it just takes like darn grass. I've seasoned it, put parm cheese on it and dipped it in ranch, but it's just difficult for me... Maybe it will grow on me??

Yes, we've been eating in the floor lately. NCAA games are on so we sit in front of the TV...haha Classy, I know..

I love breakfast foods. We had peanut butter sandwiches, yogurt and bananas one day. Cam went all Elvis on me and made the sandwich with the bananas on it, but that's just not a taste I like...
my picture won't rotate :(
 

Here's my latest grocery trip.... two bags of frozen chicken, mixed vegetables, romain lettuce, triscuits, cottage cheese, string cheese, nuts, bananas, cauliflower, natural peanut butter, protein bars, yogurt, strawberries... and my NEW FAVORITE: Kashi Cinnamon Harvest... O M G... it's to die for! It's similar to a mini wheat but packed with cinnamon flavor. It has a higher calorie count per cup than some cereal, but it's made with organic ingredients and I can READ all of them... not a bunch of processed crap or preservatives!
EATING "CLEAN" IN 2013
We still eat some junk here and there, and we enjoy eating out on occassion,
but I figure it's a trade off for all the good stuff we are eating!


And here's the big news... I've started INSANITY round 2. Today is day 4 and I'm pumped. I'm doing it with a friend and loving it--it makes us more accountable and it's so much easier with a friend. I feel like the time passes quicker when I talk and complain with someone else! I'm feeling the burn (forgot how bad that part is)...but I cannot believe how much higher my stamina is for round 2 than it was for round 1...big difference in my level of fitness this year. That excites me.

I'm hoping the weather turns nice here soon. I'm ready for good running weather. My gums and mouth were so messed up from my wisdom teeth that I didn't go out for a while and now the cold has just scared me off! haha... yes, I'm a fairweather runner... But--- let me explain. Our health insurance is terrible and my job doesn't allow for days off, thus meaning that if I get sick, I lose pay (and that can mean thousands of dollars during a maternity leave--- teacher pay kicks in after 15 consecutive days, but it starts over if you miss a day), plus we'd have a large doctor bill... so I have to be careful about getting sick/injured right now.  Makes sense to me and my checkbook... but sucks to not want to run in every weather condition.


So... That's been my month of March. I feel as though I blinked and it was gone... showers, school, grocery shopping, meal planning, working out and lots of rest after my surgery... and now the month is over....but onto April... my birthday and warmer weather (hopefully!)


I hope March was full of fun for you...
Oh, and Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!
You can bet that we'll be watching the game tonight!
Until next time...
Krista


No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have a tip, suggestion, or critique? Leave me a comment.